– All right team, charge! ♪ Take me out on the water♪ – [Larry] We eat fishing. ♪ Way out in the woods ♪ Where the breathin’ is easy the livin’ is good♪ – [Larry] All you can do is just laugh.
♪ Out in the great outdoors♪ – [Voiceover] Larry Smith Outdoors is brought to you in part by Warrior Boats, The Badger Sportsman, Big Snow Resorts, Wilderness North Lodge, Jiffy, Hard and Soft Fishing, Bartlein Barrels, Cold Snap, Deep Freeze, Otter, Kmiec Law Firm, Lynch of Mukwonago, and Wings Over Wisconsin, and remember, it’s a great day to be alive.
♪ Out in the great outdoors♪ – Holy Moly. (rhythmic Latin percussion) Can’t believe that you actually brought me some stuff back from the Shotgun Chef. Li’l bear meat this mornin’. It’s cold, but you know a guy did a decent job in cookin’ something when you’re eatin’ cold bear meat.
I sure hope these guys don’t go too much farther. I might run out of fuel. (shuffling and rhythmic instrumental rock) – [Tommy] Larry, what the hell are ya doin’? – Hey, the last time I came up here fishin’ with ya Tommy, I only brought back two splake and a whitefish, and my wife ate ’em and she loved ’em and she said, “Don’t come home “unless you fill all three of these coolers.
” Is that gonna be a problem? – Well, you got here a little before 10. – What are ya talkin’ about? C’mon, let’s get these coolers loaded up. Just throw ’em in here, let’s go! Hey, welcome to Larry Smith Outdoors.
This week, we are up fishin’ up here on Lake Superior on the Apostle Islands, and hey, we’re fishin’ with our good friend Tom and his son Tommy Hicks, which you know, we’re gonna leave Tommy up front here, you know, it’s a lot quieter back here when he’s up there.
– [Tommy] Oh, here it comes. – Oh my gosh, oh ho ho. Well, I guess we’re fishing with Tom and Tommy Hicks today. You know what, hey you guys, I’ve never fished up here, it’s absolutely probably the prettiest part of the state up here.
Great area, tell us what we’re gonna be doin’ today out here on Lake Superior. – We’re goin’ out on a Little Sand Bay today. It’s early, we’re gonna be fishin’ York Island, either the main troll line or we’ll pick on one of the nearest islands, the water’s cold.
We’ll be lookin’ at browns, lake, gold salmon. – [Larry] A variety, huh? – Lake trout here and there. – You know, normally, I don’t believe in keepin’ a lot of fish, but you know, as you can see, I did bring a few coolers.
And you know what, I can’t believe he made Travis carry two of my coolers back to the truck. I mean, is that lack of confidence or you’re just sayin’ I don’t deserve to catch all them fish? – We don’t need to take home that many.
– OK, I believe ya then. OK, I made the mistake last time I was up here. Again, we were ice fishin’, we caught a– – You let everybody take ’em home. – Yeah, and I’m like, I usually don’t eat that stuff anyways, and I brought home three fish.
I had two splake and a whitefish and I cooked ’em for my wife, and I just couldn’t believe the difference how these fish taste up here outta this body of water. Absolutely awesome, it’s well worth the drive to come up here just for the scenic value, but also to spend time with your dad.
I mean, it’s OK once in a while with you, but you know. Hey, stay tuned, let’s see what happens today on Larry Smith Outdoors up here on the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior. Whattaya think Tommy and Tom? – Let’s go get ’em.
– [Larry] All right. – [Tom] We’re gonna get ’em. – Hey, next time let’s start a little bit earlier, OK? – [Tommy] Unbelievable, if you quit hittin’ deer. – [Larry] Right, they hit me. – [Voiceover] The Warrior story continues with the best tracking, driest ride in the industry.
Designed with a high degree of dead rise and bow flare to push water out and down for a smooth, dry, comfortable ride. The smart-trolling keel limits bow drift for enhanced boat control in the wind and with a lifetime hull warranty, Warrior Boats are built to last.
Warrior Boats, a legend reborn. – [Voiceover] Badger Sportsman Magazine, the premiere outdoor magazine published in Oshkosh and written by Wisconsin sportsmen for Wisconsin sportsmen. Get the most out of your time in the woods or on the water.
Subscribe to Badger Sportsman Magazine today. – Hey folks, the Badger Sportsman Magazine wants to see a picture of you having fun in the outdoors, and to have a chance to win a trip with us here on Larry Smith Outdoors and a Hard and Soft water fishing kit, all you have to do is submit that picture to the badgersportsman.
com. (camera shutter clicking) – [Voiceover] Kalin’s has been catching multi-species fish for over 30 years. From our crappie grubs to our Sizmic Series of hybrid swim baits and grubs, to our jerk minnows.
– You can’t see that jerk minnow, can ya? – Oh, he ate it– – [Voiceover] To our garlic and salt impregnated Wac-O-Worms. – That’s a Kalin’s Wac-O. – Our premium line of Kalin jig heads. Oh, and our original Kalin’s grub still does a pretty good job, too.
– Look at that Kalin’s in her mouth right there. (tinny electronic music) I got a feeling it’s gonna be one of them days today, in a good way. – [Tommy] Homemade planer boards. – [Larry] I like that. (rhythmic but tinny electro rock) Hey Tom.
– [Tom] All right. – [Larry] Go, no, no, it’s all yours. First one, I’m not gonna get yelled at for messin’ it up. That didn’t even take us 10 minutes. What’d we get up so early for? Oh, them are horrible eating.
You guys don’t want nothing to do with them. All right. – [Tommy] We’ll take that. – [Tommy] Break the ice. – And I’ll tell ya somethin’, like I said, when we were up here, I’ve never had slake before.
You told me these things are good eating, I was like, “Yeah, I hear that all the time from everybody.” Absolutely delicious, gotta love it. Hey, and I said, good thing I told you six foot down on that.
‘Cause Travis said eight, right? – I think your comment was, “Really?” – What you got, oh OK. Oh, I thought you had one! – [Travis] No, no. – Feelin it’s a good thing I brought the cooler, too, right? – Layin’ right here.
– Want it Larry? – [Larry] No, heck no, go! No, nothin’ real big, but it’s a fish. – [Tommy] Big one? You need a big brother. But you did want a couple fish to eat. – [Larry] Yes I did, that looks like a good one.
– Definitely a good size to wanna eat. – [Larry] Now, what’s that on, a Rapala? – [Tommy] Yep, that’s the orange Scatter Rap. That’s gonna probably be our hottest bait today. – Hey, is it true that the History Channel is doin’ a piece on you, why everybody wants to be Tommy Hicks, right? That fish you better hold out a little bit more.
Right, there ya go. (Tommy laughs) Here, step back a little bit. Here, you’re good, step back, all right. We gotta get ’em bigger’n that. – We’ll get ’em bigger, this is just a tease. That’s dinner. – You know, it’s funny because he told me the other day, he made in an hour and 15 minutes.
It wasn’t an hour and 16 minutes, an hour and 15 minutes, he made a pass and he caught 11 on one pass. Now, I just heard Travis talkin’ that the other day they were out for two and a half hours and they got nine, so that’s kind of a mixed story, but he is a fishing guide, right? Tommy, whattaya got there? – [Tommy] Oh, this one’s brown.
– [Larry] That was on that dipsy. On the dipsy, huh? – [Tommy] Yeah, on the dipsy. – [Larry] Now, with all these rods out, why did that fish hit that dipsy? Tell me that one. As a professional charter boat captain, why did he- – [Voiceover] He was followin’ the outrigger line.
– See, that’s what it was, yep. – They like that prop launch. They’re only, look how far, I haven’t reeled in anything, that’s how far we have line goin’. 20 feet, 15 feet. – Very nice fish, Tommy, nice job.
– [Tommy] Put it right in neutral. It’s that side, Travis. – [Travis] I see that. – [Larry] He likes whatever side Travis isn’t on. – [Travis] Pick it straight up, got him. – Nice job, woo, gotta love that.
Nice fish, I’ll tell ya that, gotta love that. – Nothin’ wrong with that one. – Hey, after that battle, you’ll probably be up front there for about a half hour takin’ a little siesta, huh, right? – I should drive awhile.
– You’re not as young as you usedta be. Right, that’s a good idea, yeah. Come right back around on that spot that I told ya to go onto. (both laughing) I’ve never been here before and I said, I betcha that spot right there.
– That’s a native fish, a nice brown– – How can you tell that’s a native? – This adipose fin right here. – [Larry] OK. – [Larry] ‘Cause otherwise, they would be flipped, huh? – [Tommy] Yeah, it’d all just be smooth.
– That, beautiful fish. Perfect right there. – Beautiful, I think we’ll let that one go. – Let ‘er go. – Heh, I told ya it was gonna be that rod, too. I said that. – [Tommy] Right where you told me to go.
– Right, exactly, it’s amazing how much I think I know, right? It’s actually kind of scary. – It’s warmin’ up a little bit, and the fish are turnin’ on. – I like it, you know, and I told ya, we didn’t have to leave at 3 o’clock in the morning.
We coulda left at 3:30. Nice fish, buddy. This is awesome. – [Tommy] Steelhead. – [Larry] Oh, steelhead, I want that one. Oh, yeah. – [Voiceover] Nice job. – [Tommy] That’s a goody – Hey, Tommy, that is a great fish.
That is one of my favorite eating fish, steels, right there. – [Tommy] Look at that. – [Larry] Steelhead, you know something? Guess what, Tom. – [Tommy] Whaddya think? – [Larry] I gotta place for this one.
I can tell you one thing, if that fish was long enough Tommy, my old buddy Shotgun Schafer’s gotta lotta recipes for that. – [Tommy] Does he like them? – Oh, he loves ’em. – Pretty fish, eh? – That is a nice fish, so far, brown trout, splake, and now a steelhead.
This is amazing. – We should get a laker, we have some nice lakers in here, too. – All right, Larry, get that one. – [Tommy] Larry, trade ya. – Thank you, holy man, I’ll tell ya. I just lost two in a row, I don’t want it to be three.
I wanted someone else to take the turn. – [Tommy] Oh, that one’s pullin’. – Yeah, this is a good fish. Hey Tommy, you know when you’re walleye fishin’, I never pump the rod to bring ’em in. Now, with these salmon and these trout, can you pump it? – You gotta ’cause we leave them drag pretty loose.
When they come to the boat and they’re headshakin’ and splashin’, you gotta be able to let ’em run. – Right, what if I tighten up there? – You can tighten it a little bit. I always, – [Larry] I’m kiddin’ ya.
– [Tommy] You know, clients, some of ’em, you don’t want ’em to get crankin’ on it so much. – Now, what are you thinkin’ this is, a brown trout? – [Tommy] Yeah. – [Larry] This is an awesome– – There’s a big pod of ’em along that point.
– Awesome, awesome fishery. ‘Nother one, yeah baby! – [Voiceover] Doubling. – [Larry] C’mon, we gotta make Tommy do some work. Got ‘im? – [Tommy] Got him. – [Larry] Nice job, you weren’t BS’in about the doubles, I can tell ya that.
– [Tommy] Time to get swiveling in on this. – [Larry] Right, I believe ya. – [Tommy] Beautiful fish. – [Larry] Nice. – [Larry] Nice fish. – [Tommy] They’re likin’ that Scatter Rap today. – [Larry] The scatter rap is the bait, huh? – [Tommy] That’s the one.
– You know, I’ll tell ya, ya gotta love this fishin’ up here, you guys. I mean you guys, I don’t think you know how good you got it. We haven’t even seen a boat yet out here, and you say it’s like this all the time up here.
– Yeah, it’s very rare, you see a couple boats here and there, but not often– – Yeah, that’s amazing. When you get the opportunity to look at all these beautiful islands and catch all these beautiful fish.
– They’re big in here, too, this one’s a lake trout. – That is absolutely awesome. Hey, let’s keep ‘er rollin’, huh? – I think we’re gonna get a few more. (Larry laughs) (pleasant and calm piano) (swaying orchestral music) – Patrick, what are you doin’ out here? – Mark, I’m going fishing this weekend, but with this massive selection of trucks, I can’t figure out which one to take.
– [Voiceover] The brand new Lynch Mukwonago stores have a massive selection of brand new Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram trucks, cars, vans, and SUVs. Make your next stop at the all new, state of the art Lynch Mukwonado Dealerships today.
♪ Nobody sells for less than Lynch♪ – [Voiceover] Proving yet again that the best never rest, Otter introduces Otter Thermal Tec, the proprietary full-thermal shell found on every 2015 Otter Shelter.
Beginning with the all-new XTH Hub Shelters and the all-new lightweight, one man XT Hideout, on up to the ever-popular XT and XT Pro Series shelters that have earned a near-legendary reputation for unmatched toughness and durability.
At Otter, we know stopping at good enough is way overrated. This ice season, see for yourself how the best just keep getting better. (pleasant acoustic guitar) – When fishin’s slow, all you gotta do is send your camera guy, the caveman, back into the cave cab.
Hey, I’ll tell ya Tommy, this is unbelievable fishing. – [Tommy] This is fast action now. – This is awesome. – We got a little nervous on the first pass, but then they turned on. – I told ya that, as soon as I cracked that Sun Drop open, that’s all it took.
This is awesome. – [Tommy] We gotta double, Dad’s got one on. – [Larry] Tom, whatta you got? – I’m not sure, but it’s a fish for sure. – Wow, this is awesome, what a great place, Tommy, I’ll tell ya. This boat, this vessel you have here is unbelievable.
It feels like a decent fish, Tom. – [Tommy] Big brown. – [Larry] It’s a brown, ooh! – [Larry] That is a nice brown. Ooh, that’s a beauty. – [Tommy] Stay in neutral, Jeff, neutral. – [Larry] Oh, cats. – [Tommy] Haul ’em, yep.
– [Larry] Hey Tommy, reach out a li’l farther. – [Tommy] Got ‘im! – [Larry] Whoa-oh! – [Larry] Busted the line. – [Tommy] Did I really? – [Larry] Yeah, you hit it with the net. Popped the line, nice job.
– [Tommy] This is a nine-pounder here. – [Larry] Another one? Hey, look at, I got another one! That is a dandy, holy cats! Hey Tommy, if I can’t hold him up, I got a rod in my hand. Look at that fish.
– Look at that football. What a beauty. – [Larry] That is absolutely a dandy. – Look how wide that fish is. – [Larry] Holy cats. – [Tommy] It’s a beauty. – [Larry] Ya gotta love it, I can’t get over– – I’m gonna let this one go right away.
– [Larry] Yep, let that one go. – [Tommy] There he goes. – Gotta love that, buddy. Hey, normally I don’t like trolling, but this kinda trollin’, this is awesome. Oh, I shook that bait off. Got ‘im, Tommy, nice job.
That is absolutely awesome, look at that. Wanna talk about a ball? Come up to Ashland, come out with the Hicks’, Tommy and Tom, and have a great time catchin’. Jeff, you’re kinda reminding us of our buddy Brad over at Deep Freeze.
Always hiding in the shelter. You were up in that cab up there listening to the tunes. – I feel more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it. – Right, nope, everybody gets their turn with us.
– Beautiful. – [Larry] Come on, Tommy. – [Larry] Let’s go here. – This one’s comin’ in– – [Jeff] How’s it feel, pretty good? – [Larry] Hey Jeff, I’ve always wondered about guys that wear sunglasses when there’s no sun.
Right, right, I mean what’s d’ya think the deal is? – I’m afraid to take ’em off, they’re prescription. – [Larry] I’m a superstar. – [Larry] C’mon Tommy, whatta you got. Whatta we got, Jeff? – [Tommy] Little brown.
– [Larry] Little browns are nice. Is that another good eater, right there? – [Tommy] That is, yeah, that’s perfect size. Good eater, not like the last two, but you gotta have a mix. – Yeah, I know, it’s kinda nice.
Hey, you know Tom, and I was askin’ your dad this, and he was sayin’ a lot of this has to do, I know the first pass and we’re goin’ this way. Now, this is the second time we’re goin’ this way, and we’ve only caught a couple fish.
Now, we’re going back the other way, we had the doubles going on constantly. What’s the deal with that? – There’s a current wrapping around this island. – OK. – So right now, I would imagine we’re goin’ into it.
I like goin’ with the current, and I’m guessing that’s what we’ve had, a northeast wind pretty heavy the last two days. I’m thinkin’ it’s rippin’ around this point of the island. They’re definitely likin’ it goin’ that way.
So, we’ll just, you could change the speed, slow it down when you’re goin’ into it. You can’t pick this monstrosity up and run up the current, it’s not gonna work. So, we troll both ways, but definitely, you’ll see your numbers most days are gonna be one direction or the other.
– OK, because of the currents coming around these islands. – And you can have Fish Hawks or somethin’ like that, where really, I’ve done this long enough, I can just tell by when the boards are flowin’, or how the waves are comin’ up the downriggers, you know, the angle and, about that three miles an hour is what they want in this cold water.
– Sounds good. Nice short ones. Nice job, I’ll tell ya, all right. – Aw, I didn’t miss ’em. – It was like the third attempt on the net. – You wanna eat this one? – Yep, I certainly do. You know, you’re not a married guy yet, but I’m just gonna tell ya somethin’, there’s an old saying that is as true as any saying has ever true.
A happy wife is a happy life, and she said, “Bring home the fish.” – I know what’s really happening. – [Larry] What’s that. – You’re trying to deplete my herd so I can’t even do this anymore. – Well, that might be something like that (chuckles).
I think, you know, yeah. I see by all the pressure out here with all these boats that wow, yeah, there’s a lot of pressure on these fish out here. (relaxed acoustic rock music) – You know what you gotta do when the fish aren’t biting? – [Voiceover] What, snort over the air? – Sometimes you just gotta phone a friend.
– [Voiceover] That’s what you did, huh? – I just don’t have any service. I got the spot. We’re outta here. Larry should be ready. – Hey, you know what, it’s gettin’ to be that time and I’ll tell ya somethin’.
I wonder what our old buddy Shotgun Schafer’s got cookin’ for us this week? – Thank ya, Larry. Today in the kitchen, I am Shotgun Steve Schafer. Once again, my friend dropped off some Lake Michigan salmon.
What do I do with it? I get phone calls all the time, “Shotgun, “what do I do with this, what do I do with that?” So today we are making Lake Michigan salmon with capers on it. Salt ’em. This is sea salt.
Adds a little flavor, granulated garlic. You don’t have to put garlic on if you don’t want, but I like garlic on my food. Little bit of fresh ground pepper. These are capers. Make sure you spread a little juice on there too.
That’s where a lot of flavors are. A buddy of mine makes wine. This is a real sweet white wine. Take and put your thumb over the end of it, and just drizzle a little over the top of your fish. Also, when it’s in the oven, it adds for like a little steam for a basting on the fish, too.
All right, let’s put this in the oven. I have my bearnaise sauce started on the stove, I’m gonna finish that up while this fish is being cooked in the oven. And let’s see how this finished product goes, let’s throw this in the oven.
Oven set at 350 degrees, my capers on top the salmon. We’re putting it in the oven, top shelf, like I say, it’s gonna be about eight to 10 minutes in there. You’ll see the color change on the salmon, then you’re done.
I already started my bearnaise sauce, or however you say, beer-neece sauce. This is something you really gotta watch. Constantly, constantly stir it up as it’s heatin up. You don’t want to lose it because of the butter in there.
Once again, all this is on the website. It’ll tell you exactly how to make it. I just go, follow the directions on the package. I could make it the other way, but it’s so much faster. I’m huge on getting in the kitchen, coming home from work, and making something in 10, 15 minutes so everybody can eat.
Fish is out of the oven, check it out. If you guys could only smell this right now. Put the caper on the plate, ooh this is hot. Lemme set this aside real fast. Grab your bearnaise sauce, I’m probably saying it wrong, but that’s the way I’ve always said it.
Ladle a little of that across the top, look how beautiful that looks. And a good side for this is baked potato, and folks, if you haven’t tried this, the sour cream and onion and chive in it. Oh, it’s outta this world.
The wife just bought it a couple weeks ago, and I’ve been eatin’ it steady. All right, lemme try this, lemme get a fork. Oh my gah, that’s probably the best piece of fish I had in a long time. Larry, seriously, you gotta come over and try this one time.
– [Voiceover] With ice fishing just around the corner, it’s time to gear up. Check out the new Pro Skimmer by Deep Freeze, offered in six-inch, eight-inch, and 10-inch models. The fastest ice skimmer on the market, and once you’re ready for those tip-ups, don’t forget about Blue Tipz, the first tip-up alert system sent straight to your smartphone.
Free app available on Android and iOS. Check out these and other products at deepfreezefishing.com, or any of your favorite retailers. – [Voiceover] Big Snow Resorts, your destination for winter family fun in the North.
Enjoy two resorts on one ticket, with over 400 skiable acres, it’s the largest ski experience in the Midwest. Full-service resorts offering pro shop service, hotel, chalet, and trailside condo lodging, six dining facilities, four bars, and with weekly special events, exceptional fun for everyone.
For details, please call or visit bigsnowresorts.com today. (dramatic and rhythmic orchestral music) (relaxed rock music) – [Larry] Oh, is he’s swearin’ on our show? Are you swearin’ on our show? Is he swearin’ at you? – [Travis] He did.
– [Larry] He can’t swear at you. – [Travis] I can’t touch the drag. – Just because you’re the mate, right? He’s really picky on what he, stuff, isn’t he? We just got set back up a new spot. You got yelled at on the first fish, right? Holy moly.
– [Travis] You’re in a good story. – Right here, yeah I know it. Interrupting the story. – [Tommy] What did I say about the thumb over the drag? – He did, so make sure if you fish with Tommy, don’t put your thumb over the drag.
– [Travis] No, a lake trout. – [Tommy] I thought it was a lake trout. – [Travis] Legal one, a keeper. – [Larry] Nice job, arright. Woo, gotta love it. What’s the size on lake trout out here, Tommy? – This year, there’s an emergency rule, so there’s a slot that they’re doin’ on ’em.
That’s two fish, 20 to 25-inches. This one’ll be right in there. – Nice little laker right there. – [Tommy] Nice job, Trav. – [Larry] Gotta like that, even though you got yelled at, Travis, that was still, you did an awesome job, I thought.
(muffled screaming and pounding) – [Voiceover] Got one, Tom? – Yep, got one on. – [Voiceover] Oh, now you wanna come out. – Tell ya,oh that’s who has hooked. It is a laker, see, your dad was right the first time.
Why would you ever doubt your dad? Nice job, arright. (pleasant acoustic rock) ‘Nother great fish here up in Ashland. Fishin’ Lake Superior. Am I gettin’ slime on your camera, Dan? (pleasant acoustic rock) You know, we had another absolutely fantastic time with you, Tommy and everybody else.
You know, these are very interesting days for me to come up here, because before, I’ve lived in Wisconsin all my life, and I’ve never fished up here in Ashland. Now that I have, this is the third time we’ve been up here and been very successful, and I’ll tell ya, I appreciate it.
You know, if people wanna get ahold of you, what do they do to get ahold of you as far as wanting to guide up on this beautiful body of water in this battleship here? I’ll tell you that. – Well, you can always go to the website, beyondthecatch.
com. Follow us on Facebook, Beyond the Catch Guide Service, that or give me a call at 715-292-4342. – Awesome, you know somethin’, you said I’m the star of the show, but I lost seven fish today. I did lose seven today, but you know what, Tommy? It was still a great day to be alive, and thanks everybody for watchin’ our show.
– Is this a new coat? (laughs) Got a little blood on it. – Oh, I thought I had the tag on it. Usually, I leave the tag on there, because when it gets dirty, I take it back. – [Larry] Captain, could I eat a piece of that bread? – I can’t believe you got banana stuff on the boat.
– It’s not bananas though, it’s bread. It’s bread. – I actually do like bananas, but I won’t even eat ’em during fishing season. – Only with Tommy Hicks do you get special services. (pleasant resonating guitar)