(upbeat country music) – [Larry] Alright team, charge! ♪ Take me out on the water – We eat fish. ♪ Or way out in the woods ♪ Where the breathing is easy, the living is good ♪ Out in the great outdoors – And welcome to Larry Smith Outdoors.
We’re sponsored by the Badger Sportsman Magazine, Bartlein Barrels, Warrior Boats, Big Snow Resort, Lynch Mukwonago, Wings Over Wisconsin, Mike’s Country Meats, Midwest Shooters Supplies, Burgers’ Smokehouse, Dowco, Vexilar, Dick Smith’s Bait and Tackle, Komelon Measuring Tools, Kmiec Law Firm, Norm’s Ag, and Jiffy.
And remember, it’s a great day to be alive. Holy moly! (upbeat country music) Hey, good morning and welcome to Larry Smith Outdoors. Guess what, we’re up in Lake Superior with our good friend Tommy Hicks with Beyond the Catch and I’ll tell you, Tommy, we are gonna put some miles on today and try to catch some trophy lake trout.
– We’re gonna put a lot of miles on, we’re gonna cover about 30 miles outside the harbor, we’re gonna go all throughout the Apostle Islands, fish on the east side of the islands. We’re gonna go for some giant lake trout today.
We’re not going just for eaters, we’re gonna mix it in, we got a really good spot goin’ out here, we should have numbers, we should have eaters. And hopefully at the end, Larry brought all of his (mumbles) gear, we’re gonna pretend it’s early ice.
We’re gonna do a little (mumbles). – You know, I’ll tell you what, Tommy. As far as the conditions, we’ve got absolutely awesome conditions as far as making a long run today. You know, Lake Superior, personally is probably one of the most dangerous bodies of water when you’re talking about inland, you know, Great Lakes scenario, this is definitely one of them lakes I don’t like being on when you got 30 mile an hour winds.
– We have to make a call when we come up to this spot, a lot of days I can’t make it, yesterday we couldn’t have gotten out here, we might have some leftover rollers coming in from the big lake but today’s perfect.
Overcast, everything. – Yeah. Especially when you’re fishing Great Lakes like this, definitely, you know, your electronics, your radar, you know, the weather, all that stuff, it’s a big factor. – You definitely wanna know what you’re doin’ before you go out, especially where we’re goin’ today.
– Hey, I’ll tell you what, Tommy. We got a heck of a crew today, we got your dad out here, we got your good friend Jeff out here, you got your wife-to-be Mackenzie, and her girlfriend– – [Tommy] The maid of honor.
– Right, oh my gosh! – Maid of honor and the guy that’s marryin’ us, Jeff. – [Larry] Holy cats! – And that’s in, it’ll be a week after this airs! – Hey, stay tuned, let’s see what happens today up on Lake Superior fishing lake trout.
(techno music) – [Announcer] Creating a fishing boat that delivers unsurpassed fishability, speed and performance on the water, is achieved through an ongoing commitment to quality and a driving passion for making great boats even better.
You’ll see this commitment to quality and the passion for building the fisherman’s boat in every Warrior Boat model you’ll see on the water. For additional information on Warrior Boat’s new V208, check out their website at WarriorBoatsInc.
com, or visit your local Warrior Boats dealer to schedule a test drive and see for yourself why no fishing boat on the market offers a smoother, dryer ride, more interior cockpit space, more storage, more room to fish big water in complete comfort and safety than the V208 from Warrior Boats.
– Dowco, far and away the nation’s leading boat cover manufacturer, precisely fit for a large variety of OEM makes and models. Dowco Premium Covers are the boating equivalent of a hand-tailored suit. Not only a Dowco cover’s the best fitting and best quality.
Include unique features like our poleless coverless system, and ratchet attachment system, making them the easiest and fastest covers to install and remove. – [Announcer] Burger Smokehouse, your handcrafted smokemeat headquarters since 1952.
Our dry-rub recipes, aging process and natural hardwood smoking come together to create bold, satisfying flavors that we are proud to stand behind. Whether it’s summer sausage, hearty sportsman’s cut bacon, or dry-rubbed barbecue ribs, we are your source for topnotch hardwood smoked meats that you’ll be proud to serve family and friends.
Visit us online at Smokehouse.com or look us up at your local grocery store. (upbeat rock music) – [Larry] Hey, Tommy, what do you got goin’ on here? We’re finally out here, what 30 miles out– – 30 miles out, we just stuck a dodger and a spinning glow on.
– And we’re in about what? 90 feet of water? – 135. – 135, holy cat! Now, are these fish all tight in the bottom? – No. We’re gonna fish anywhere from 20, 30 feet out dipsy divers down to– I stay a little off the bottom under a lot of big rocks.
– Okay. – We’ll be in some areas of rock terminals as big as this boat. – Holy cats! (chuckles) – If you bounce bottom too much, I’ve lost a lot of gear out here, so don’t you wanna do that. (upbeat rock music) There you go, now you’re on.
– Here, Katie. – Katie, get back there. – Come on, girl! Alright, Katie! – A little left, Dad. Slow down a little bit, Dad. – [Larry] That’s a nice fish! I can’t believe that it’s literally about 10 minutes, we caught the first fish.
Alright, Katie! Come on, girl! – [Tommy] Nice fish, alright go ahead! – [Larry] Good deal! – [Tommy] Beautiful! – Tommy, I’ll tell you what, if there’s ever a place I ever wanna eat a lake trout, it would definitely be out at Lake Superior.
– These are good fish here. – [Larry] And absolutely beautiful! That is, that’s awesome! Nice job, Kate! – Beautiful! And that’s a good one for the grill right there. I don’t keep many fish much bigger than this.
– [Larry] The perfect eating size, huh? – Good 23, 24 inch eater. Red fin and meat that look just like a salmon. (upbeat rock music) – Feels like a nice fish, huh? – I think so! – Have you ever done this before? – I have! (laughs) Not as much as I’d like! – Yeah, it must be nice everyday to come off fishing, right? And while you’re at work, right? – Oh, yeah, it’s great.
– So, in a very short time you’re actually gonna be marrying this guy. – I am. 26 days! – Wow! – Comin’ up! – Are you nervous? – Little bit. – Right? I think, if I was you, I’d be nervous, too! – I’m excited.
– Oh, you are? Excited-nervous? – I am. – [Tommy] What do you got on there, a bigger one? – I do, I hope so! – [Larry] Holy cats, that is a nice fish! Woohoohoo! – Nice! – Wow! – Very nice. Yup, if you go a little slower, I’m up high enough.
– [Larry] That is absolutely, nice, nice lake trout. I love that clear water. – [Tommy] Beautiful, beautiful! – Look at that’s a beautiful fish! – [Tommy] Whoo! Nice job! Take a look at that! – That’s awesome! – [Larry] Wow! – [Tommy] No wonder it took you so long to wind that thing in! – I know right? I love it! – Beautiful.
– Come on, Katie! This looks, feels like a little bigger fish this time. – [Tommy] That’s how one– Ooh, oh, oh, easy, easy, easy, just hold him. – That’s a big fish, huh? – [Tommy] Yup. – [Larry] Just hangin’ right down on that bottom, huh? (upbeat rock music) (water splashes softly) Nice! Alright, Katie! You got her? – [Tommy] Just get rid of that handle.
– Okay. – Real nice, pretty! Whoo! Pretty, do you see how dark they are out here? – [Larry] They are, they’re beautiful coloring. – [Tommy] There ain’t many places in the islands you can even get ’em this dark.
Whoop, look at that. Popped right off. Popped right off. – [Mackenzie] Good job, Katie! – Nice fish, Katie! – [Larry] They’re all nice fish! – Little kiss? – Aww! – Aww! – Did you see that? It almost turned into a brown trout! (laughter) – [Larry] Nice job! (upbeat rock music) – [Tommy] Look at that stuff, eh? – Yeah, look at that! (laughter) Why’s it always have to be funny stuff at my expense? I just wanna know that one time! Right, one time! (upbeat rock music) Talk to us, talk to us! You know, why is it when the camera’s on, you never stop talking? – What do you mean? – Oh, I mean when the camera’s off, you never stop talking, right? (laughter) – She takes this fishing a little serious.
When she loses one, a little tip, we all run to the cabin and shut the door for a while. – We already had the talk. If I lose a fish on film, don’t freak out or swear or hit anyone. – It’s like you’re saying you have a potty mouth if you lose a fish.
– I’m a poor sport. – She’s gettin’ a lot better, Larry, she’s getting a lot better. – [Larry] Nice job, another nice fish, I’ll tell you that! – [Tommy] Nice fish! Another nice fish! – [Larry] Good job, girl! – Thank you! – [Announcer] Badger Sportsman Magazine, Wisconsin’s Premier Outdoor Magazine.
Fishing and hunting in Wisconsin, written by outdoor enthusiasts from Wisconsin. Each issue features timely fishing and hunting articles from experts across the state. Badger Sportsman Magazine will help you make the most out of your time in the woods or on the water.
Subscribe to Badger Sportsman Magazine today. – [Announcer] Wings Over Wisconsin, a non-profit organization dedicated to natural resource restoration, preservation, and education with youth and community involvement.
Through cooperation with private landowners, state federal agencies, Wings Over Wisconsin has been a leader in the preservation of our natural wildlife habitat with donated dollars staying in Winsconsin, for Wisconsin.
For information about how you can join this great organization, or how to start a new chapter, please visit WingsOverWisconsin.org. – I’m Mark Greene. – I’m Patrick Lynch. Welcome to our all new Lynch Mukwanago Dealership.
– [Announcer] The brand new Lynch Mukwanago Dealerships have over 500 new Chevys, Chryslers, Dodges, Jeeps, RAMs and pre-owned vehicles in stock and all priced to sell. Stop by and check out their massive selection of trucks and SUVs, perfect for all your fall outdoor sports! – You do the driving, we’ll do the listening, ’cause I want you to love how you feel in your new ride! ♪ Nobody sells for less than Lynch (upbeat techno music) – Come on, girls! – [Tommy] Double, Katie! – Double, Jeff, get one! – Jeff? – I’m comin’, I’m comin’, I’m comin’! – Alright, Katie! We’re definitely keepin’ these girls busy this morning.
At least Tommy is. I’m cookin’ the bacon over here, right? – See what happens when we eat? Whoo! – The fish eat– That’s your key , huh? I like that! – That’s the key! – [Tommy] Since, Larry, you started me with that, I tell ya.
– [Larry] It’s been limit after limit. – It works. (upbeat jazz music) Neutral? Keep coming home. Oh, look at that one, Larry! – [Larry] Nice fish! – [Tommy] Keep coming, that’s alright, keep coming. – [Larry] (laughs) Holy cats! – [Tommy] Got ’em! – [Larry] Wow! Tommy! This is incredible, incredible fishing.
– [Jeff] Do you need help? – [Tommy] I got ’em. – [Larry] Whoa! – Look at that fish. – [Larry] That is absolutely beautiful! That’s a great shot, too. Nice job, Tommy, I’ll tell you that. – Nice job! – Thanks! – Beautiful fish.
– Fat fish! (upbeat jazz music) – Who’s comin’? – [Larry] Come on, girls, Jeff? Jeff, let Jeff get one, yeah! Jeff’s gotta get one. Jeff! Man of Wisdom. It’s not just Jeff, it’s Man of Wisdom. Hey, and it’s Preacher Jeff, too, right? – Preacher! – Man of the cloth! – Wow, Preacher Jeff! Gonna marry you in a couple of weeks, huh, Tommy? Jeff, what do you got to say? You always have something.
– This could be a decent fish. (laughter) – [Larry] It’s amazing the excitement that I see comin’ out of your face. There you go! (laughs) – Oh, my! (shouts) Watch this! He’s giving up now! (laughter) (upbeat jazz music) – [Tommy] Nice fish.
Nice fish. Good job, captain! – Nice! Nice job! – [Tommy] Beautiful fish. Another tagged fish. – [Larry] It is. – [Tommy] Nice job, sir. – [Larry] Good job! Preacher Jeff! Man of Wisdom. (upbeat jazz music) – That’s a good fish there, Katie.
– Good fish? – Yup. – [Larry] Alright! Nice job! Kate, we’re not gonna let you sit around too long. Right, back to work! – [Tommy] Just make sure you’ll wait till they’re close then swipe at ’em. – [Larry] Okay.
– [Tommy] You got that? – I got it, yup. Wait till they get close and swipe at ’em. That’s what Tommy Hicks said. Beyond the Catch, right? – I remember this one story. I won’t mention any names and I was a kid.
Big brown. And that happened. And you will never get that fish back in the net when you catch it in the net behind the hoop. – [Larry] Makes it a little tough. – Oh! – Nice fish. – Oh, yeah! – Yeah! – Nice! Nice fish.
Katie, if I miss this fish, we’re all done. Nice! – [Tommy] Nice job! Nice fish! – Nice job, girl! – [Mackenzie] Good job, Katie! – Look at that! Come right in here on the left. Beautiful! (laughter) Beautiful.
– Nice job! – [Tommy] Awesome. – [Larry] Gotta love this. Tommy, what brings people up to Ashland? Up to Lake Superior? Besides the beautiful lake trout fishing? – Just trip out here. I mean, we didn’t see a lot this morning, we had a lot of fog.
– Right. – I’m guessing on the way in we’ll have that sun out and you’ll see some of the views on islands, it’s just gorgeous. The clay, the red clay. The sandstone cliffs and caves and lighthouses. There’s so much to do and there’s kayaking.
People go on just the boat tours alone. A lot of people just catchin’ fish is a bonus. (upbeat jazz music) Another nice fish. – Wow! – Another nice fish. How does that feel? – Good! Really good. – Finally a day off work, and you don’t have to drive the boat, you get to actually catch a fish.
– I don’t have to work at my second job. – I’ve had this poor girl workin’ seven days a week. Everyday she’s off in Marissa. She first mates for me on the boat. – Are you payin’ her? – It’s okay, I’m the boss.
– [Larry] Oh, you’re the boss? – I tell everybody she’s the most expensive auto-pilot I’ve ever had. (laughs) – It’s true, it’s true. (upbeat rock music) – [Larry] Got it. Nice. – Alright, go ahead. Nice fish! – [Larry] Very nice.
– Look at that. – Check it out! – Nice! Why do you always got that camera on my face? – [Dan] ‘Cause it’s a television show? – I know, but it doesn’t always have to be in my face. Put it in Jeff’s face.
Put it in Tom’s face. – [Dan] Tom’s busy drivin’ the boat! Doin’ a tremendous job, I must say. – [Larry] Jeffrey! – Yeah, Larry called this one. – You know what? I saw that fish come right up and boomp! Slammed that.
That’s the cool part about it. It’s nice havin’ that Lowrance unit in the back here to watch that. – [Tommy] It’s amazing, isn’t it? – Yeah, I love your stuff. – Mark a fish, catch a fish. In a hundred and 30 feet of water.
– That is amazing. – We haven’t put him on the boat yet. There’s a good chance he may get knocked off by the net man. (Tommy laughs) – I’m the net guy. – Oh, that’s right! – Right! – Nice job. – Good job, net man! – [Larry] Thank you, thank you! Thank you, thank you! (upbeat rock music) (camera clicks) (pan sizzles) – Shotgun Chef here on the shores of Lake Winnebago.
We got Larry’s guys on the lake right now guiding ’em, they’re comin’ in, I got fresh trout that they caught with Tommy Hicks over there. I got leeks, Burger Smokehouse bacon, I got crisp (mumbles), I got potatoes with Lowry’s salt on it, got the cast iron smokin’ hot right now, ready to go for the trout.
And I’m gonna pull a little chardonnay, see that (mumbles) chardonnay? You want real dry white wine with this to put in there. See how the pan’s smokin’ hot? Here then, after you put the trout in, folks, watch.
It’s gonna shrink right up. Hear that sizzle? Keep that on high. See how it’s shriveling up? That’s what you wanna see. I made a call in to Smith, he should be comin’ off to drink any second now. – Shotgun.
Off to drink? – Hey, he-he-hey! – What is going on here? Hey, you know what? I’ll tell you what, Shotgun Cheffer. That wind is blowin’ right out to where we’re fishin’, we couldn’t take it any longer, I know you told us 15 minutes, but we’re ready to eat! What do you got happenin’ here today? – I got a little time.
Hey, there’s a huge giveaway right now, Larry. We got all the stuff we use on the show. Lodge cast iron, we got the Sterno burner, we have one of those Dutch ovens giving away. So you gotta like us on Facebook, and the more shares– The last person won had four shares on it, I mean, everyday share was on.
– So we get to win all this stuff here, Shotgun? – Yeah, from here over. Not this stuff. This is what we’re eatin’ today, alright? – [Larry] Okay. (laughs) – [Shotgun] I know you wanna eat that, too, but yeah.
Some of your seasoning salt there, we got the tongs. Show ’em what they got, Larry. – Looks like a pretty good package you got going on here, Shotgun. So again, how can they win this stuff? – Watch TV, this episode’s gonna be on, and they can see the Fox Sports or Channel 18, you’re gonna like us on Facebook and share.
The more you share, the more people that share it, the computer kicks in, and pulls that name up, when they pull your name up– – Then they get to win all this stuff. – Yup. And you might come right? That all’s gonna be delivered to ’em by hand, I heard.
– I don’t think that’s gonna happen. (relaxing country music) – [Shotgun] How is it, guys? – Excellent, excellent, Shotgun! – Alright. Don’t forget, guys. Like us, Facebook. Watch us on 300 web. The IT guys’ gonna tell us what day we’re drawin’ this prize.
It’s worth it. Right? – Mm, yup! – [Shotgun] What happened? (laughs) Oh my God! (makes gobbling noises) Shotgun Cheffer, Winnebago, Smith, we’re done. Out. – Hey, remember, it’s a great day to be alive.
– And fish like to eat, too. – Mm, so do I. – [Shotgun] Nice. – [Announcer] For over 25 years, Midwestern Shooters Supply has been you’re premier dealer for hunting supplies. Our staff is friendly, experienced and certified with over 15 years in gunsmithing experience! We’re your one-stop shop for your hunting needs.
Our inventory is at the lowest possible price and we will match any other dealer advertised price! Do you do more than hunt? Check out our supply of fishing products as well. Visit Midwestern Shooters Supply today or shop our webstore at MWShooters.
com. Midwestern Shooters Supply, we wanna be your outdoor supplier! – [Announcer] Introducing the next generation of sonar. Sonar Phone by Vexilar! The world’s first smart device sonar. Download the free app.
Try the demo feature and see why Sonar Phone will rival the performance of sonar systems costing hundreds more. The Sonar Phone does not require cellphone coverage. You create your own wifi hotspot and can share with your friends.
Download the free app today and for a limited time with any purchase of a Sonar Phone, you get a free smart phone arm band! That’s the Sonar Phone by Vexilar. (dramatic orchestral music) (upbeat country music) – Right in the middle of ham.
Mm, look what happened. – You should see this some hammy ham-ham. – [Tommy] Nice fish. Beautiful! Beautiful! Few marks on him. Old lamprey mark or something? – [Larry] Few battle scars, huh? – [Tommy] Let’s get him released.
Beautiful. – [Dan] Hey, is this a fishing show or an eating show? – We like to eat and fish, why can’t we do both? Right, just like, you know hey. Just like some people like to hunt and fish? I like to hunt, fish and eat.
And Man of Wisdom agrees with me. – Definitely, you like to eat. You do like to eat just by lookin’ at ya. (upbeat rock music) – Like always an absolutely awesome time up here in Bayfield. You know, I love comin’ up to this Ashland area, the Apostle Islands.
There’s just so many things to do and see up here. And the fishing is like second to none. And you know, besides all them things, I always have a great time with you. And you know what? I thank everybody for the great day we had and all the fish we had.
And you know what? If people wanna get a hold of you and come up and enjoy this great experience, tell everybody out there how they can do it. – Yeah, everybody, of course, join Facebook. Beyond the Catch Guide Service, you can give us a call at 715-292-4342 and www.
BeyondTheCatch.com. And– – Take it from there, huh? – Let’s go fishin’. – Hey, make sure everybody checks us out in all of our social media stuff during the week because we always have a lot of great things goin’ on and just remember, like I always say, what a great day to be alive! – Dan, turn up to film that spot.
I don’t want ’em to see anything over here. And then there’s that landmark right over there. – [Dan] Little out further. – Cheese! – How’s that lake trout, Danny? – [Dan] Yup, that was close enough, I could taste it probably.
– What are you doing? You wanna show everybody our secrets? – Stinkbait. (laughter) – [Dan] Oh, dude, that’s gross. – If you’re gonna marry a native American girl, gotta be able to eat raw fish. (laughter)